Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Introducing Table Foods

When it was time to introduce table foods to D, we had to wait until she was 10 months old because of various viruses and a nasty diaper rash. Our doctor recommended we avoid introduction of new foods when her body was resisting other invaders. By the time we introduced the foods, she insisted upon eating only things she could feed herself and only foods she could easily eat with her fingers. With gusto, she ate peas, beans, lentils, tiny bits of avacado, and rice. While I didn't really intend to offer jarred baby food, D decided for herself that she wasn't in need of such.

When G was old enough for table foods, I was ready for something to entertain her so I could sit and eat a meal myself. She's crawling outside on the deck and eating leaves, I thought, so why not give her some food to eat? Apparently leaves were more interesting to her. She turned her head, resisted all of my offers of tasty bits of food. When she was cajoled into putting something into her mouth, she GAGGED dramatically. At around 10 months of age, she suddenly became interested in eating table food and willing to try. The gagging ceased, but she insisted only on perfectly smoothly pureed foods that she be fed with a spoon. Since I already raised a baby without commercial baby food, I just pureed my own foods. It's actually super easy and they don't eat much at a sitting, so it's not much work.

V is now 9 and a half months old. She has been interested in grabbing my food for some time. She reaches her little head up from my sling to try to get a drink from my glass of water. But she would also eat sand if I let her. Recently I started offering some table foods because it seemed like a reasonable time and she may as well eat food instead of sand. Sure enough, the gag reflex is so strong that she gets very little down. However, she is delighted with the pleasure of giving it a try and just keeps on trying.

The other day, I noticed a little something in the diaper that was not her usual mama's milk stool. I wonder what she is ingesting in enough quantity to show up here, I thought. Maybe I should make more for her. Upon closer inspection, I was able to identify what she ate. Paper. Still had the writing on it. The next day? Grass. Forget about all of those peas, avacados, and rice she tosses all around the house. Paper and grass make it past the gag reflex.

Yummy.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Kids are so funny! We introduced food to my oldest at 5 months because he was already eating tomatoes from the garden. Oops. Now my 3 month old looks ready to dive onto my plate and I'm wondering when he'll be ready for the real thing too! Paper though -- it's amazing what makes it through :)