Sunday, November 8, 2009

CLE on Slavery

Went to such an intersting seminar about slavery last week (as I try to get enough CLE credits to maintain my license, which I do not use in any way). It reminded me that slavery, which was made legal by this very country at its inception, was debated even as the formation of the country was considered. This quote really grabbed me:

"Every master of slaves is born a petty tryrant." It's from Mason, of Virginia, during the Constitutional Convention.

Makes you wonder who wanted to be a petty tyrant. Or did they really disagree with Mason? Did they really find some moral high ground to justify such a tremendous violation of human rights?

I also wonder what the things that the leaders of our country have done to the indigenous people of our nation makes them...

No comments: