Monday, June 16, 2008

Packing

We have been living in a rental house now for almost a full year while our house is being remodeled. It has been a test of our courage, our emotional fortitude, our endurance, our decision-making skills, and our wallets. Finally, we are looking at the final weeks of construction.

I am practically salivating over the idea of being back in our old house, with our old neighbors and ample space, not to mention the updated appliances and newly configured layout. While this rental house has been very good to us, I am anxious to leave it and nest in the house we have been planning literally for years now.

Yet, there is one thing that I do not look forward to with great enthusiasm (other than paying the bills for the construction). In order to move back into the house, we have to PACK and MOVE all of our stuff again. Ugh. I shudder at the thought.

Right now I am trying to figure out where to begin. It seems that as soon as I pack up something, it will suddenly become incredibly necessary. I packed up the food processor, which I had not used in months this weekend. The very next day, I realized that it would have made the potato pancakes I had planned for dinner a lot easier to cook. I know that as soon as I pack up the mixer, I will have an urgent need for frosting. At least I know enough to make packing the kids' toys one of the last jobs. Could you imagine how valuable a doll would become the minute one of them found out she was packed in a box in the recesses of the basement?!

No comments: