Saturday, March 13, 2010

I'm Hungry

My family is on an elimination diet right now to deal with some allergy issues in one of the kids. As a result, we are avoiding dairy, wheat, egg, gluten, and various other grains. It is a huge hassle. It's very difficult to find convenience foods and almost impossible to expect anyone to accommodate our dietary requirements. It nearly destroys social eating. It's a drag.

As a result of the allergy diet, I am now obsessed with feeding my family. I feel like I spend most of my time planning and preparing food, and the other half cleaning up after the preparation and feeding.

To top it off, the kids are lukewarm on just about every new food that we try. I work hard on finding new options, cook them from scratch with a variety of hard to find ingredients, and they are disappointed by what I make. I ask them what they WANT me to make. In their dreams, what would they eat, I ask. They say, "I don't know."

And while this is all very frustrating, the most frustrating moment of this ordeal happened the other night.

After making a big dinner with lots of choices, including special requests for two of the children (which they both ate, much to my delight), oldest of the two said children came into the room. I had just started the dishwasher and was washing the last pot, happy to be finally done with the cooking and cleaning for the evening. Oldest child who walked into the room, did so with these words: "I'm hungry."

Argh!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Yikes! Elimination diet in the spring when kiddos seem extra hungry. I feel for you.

Let us know what you find out. I'll be interested to hear.

Mike said...

http://glutenfreemommy.com/
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

Maybe these websites might help. I have celiac disease and can't eat gluten or wheat and felt like you do at first, then its gets easier as you find things you like. Meat on the grill, chicken, steak, pork chops, wings, ribs, etc...are also wonderful meals that are on the easier side. Hope that helps a little, and good luck.