Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Good Sign

I am all up in arms about politics and gender discrimination and gender roles in society. I want to write something about it, but it's just too much to say and I am drowning right now with other things. However, I hope to get it down soon.

While I am boiling with my irritation over these things and hand-wringing about the example I set for my kids by opting out of my very professional career track, I have one small light.

The other day G said, "Doctors are always women, right?"

Bless her little heart. Yes, all of our primary care physicians that she has ever know have been women. And so she extrapolated her personal experience to the world at large, as little kids are wont to do (which reminds me of the value of having a diverse group of people to expose children to even in the earliest years).

When I explained that even men could be doctors because gender is not a job qualification, I think she believed me, but was a little skeptical that men could actually do the work of being doctors because in her opinion women are much better at caring for others.

No comments: